Playwriting Contest Rules
- This contest provides a $1700 award and possible staged readings for the winning plays as part of the TMA Writers Intensive. Play categories are: a) ten minute plays (up to 12 pages in length), b) one act plays (between 30 and 45 pages in length), and c) full length plays (75 pages and above).
- The amounts of the cash prizes will vary each year and are determined at the discretion of the contest judges. For example, judges may award prizes to the writer of the best play in each category, or they may, when the quality of the entries warrants, divide the prize between two or more student playwrights in each category, evenly or otherwise as their judgment dictates. If no play of sufficient merit is submitted in any or all of the given categories, the award(s) will be withheld.
- Only stage plays are eligible. Collaborations are permissible, but collaborators must be individually eligible. Any original play will be eligible regardless of the style or content as long as it conforms to the standards of good taste. Musical books or libretti, together with lyrics, are eligible, but they will be judged as dramatic rather than musical compositions. All scripts will receive equal consideration. Translations or adaptations of other plays are ineligible.
- Plays should be typed (double-spaced) on regular sized white type paper and have adequate margins.
- Submissions will only be accepted between between February 8 and February 12, 2016 by 5:00 p.m. Those received in the TMA office after 5:00 p.m., on February 12th, 2016 will not be eligible.
- Entries should be turned in at the office of the Department of Theatre and Media Arts, D-581 HFAC.
- The winner(s) will be announced at an awards ceremony later in the semester.
- The Mayhew Awards Committee will appoint a judging committee of three or more members. These will be drawn from the BYU Theatre and Media Arts faculty and other qualified artists and critics.
- Each student submitting an entry will fill out a cover sheet (which can be obtained in D-581 HFAC or downloaded below) giving name, address, and telephone number and certifying (a) that he or she is eligible by proper enrollment at BYU to enter the contest, and (b) that the entry submitted is the student's own creative work.
Important note: In addition to the specific rules above for the Playwriting Contest, see the "General Regulations" giving information on all Mayhew Student Creative Contests. Both the general regulations and the specific rules for each contest should be followed by every student who enters one or more of the contests.
All submissions require a cover sheet. Cover sheets can be picked up in the Art Gallery F-303 HFAC, D-581 HFAC, or C-550 HFAC, or downloaded here for playwriting and visual arts, here for music composition, or here for screenwriting.
Contest Contact Information
Professor George D. Nelson
Playwriting Contest Chairman
F-331 HFAC, Telephone 422-4269