Visual Arts Contest Rules
- This contest provides cash awards for writing compositions and visual arts winners. Judges may divide the cash among fewer or more than four winners, even giving the entire amount to the first-place entry or, if the judges feel that the submissions are not good enough, they may withhold some or all of the awards. Prize money for this competition is $1,700.
- Entries may be done in any style or medium within the range of the traditional visual arts (painting, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, photography, drawing, illustration, graphics). All 2-D works must be cradled or framed with hanging wire securely attached, ready to hang. NO clip frames - NO uniframes. All pieces must be DRY - NO exceptions. 3-D work must be self-supporting or mounted on their own bases, not glued to our pedestals. If the work needs special consideration for hanging, specify on the entry card how the piece is to be hung. If no specifications are made, the gallery staff will use their best judgment when hanging the work. For digital entries, it is the responsibility of the student to pay for the printing of their work if considered for display. Presentation should still be considered.
- The works must be done independent of classroom assignments. Works submitted for class credit are ineligible.
- Each student submitting an entry will fill out an entry form (which can be obtained in the HFAC Art Gallery F-303, C-502 HFAC, or downloaded below) giving name, address, and telephone number and certifying (a) that he or she is eligible by proper enrollment at BYU to enter the contest, and (b) that the entry submitted is the student's own creative work. The student's real name will appear only on this information sheet. Print title card information legibly; the title card will not be retyped if title card information is illegible. No work will be considered unless it is submitted in the highest standards of presentation.
- All entries are to be submitted between February 23-24th, 2017 from 9am-4:30 pm. to B315 in the Harris Fine Arts Center.
- A judging committee of three or more members will be appointed. These will be drawn from the BYU Art faculty and other experienced artists and critics. These members will decide which pieces will be accepted, as well as which artists shall receive awards. Award winners will be notified by mail, as well as by award placards placed next to their artwork.
- The accepted works will be displayed in the HFAC gallery from March 5th through March 16th, 2016. Displayed work must be picked up from B-315 HFAC between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., March 17, 2016.
- A list of accepted works will be posted on Gallery 303 doors on the afternoon of March 2nd. Please do not call the gallery offices for contest results. Declined works can be picked up March 2nd through March 3rd from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in B-315 HFAC. Any artwork not picked up will be considered abandoned and will be dealt with as gallery staff deems appropriate.
- All submissions require a cover sheet. A cover sheet can be picked up in the Art Gallery F-303 HFAC, D-581 HFAC, or C-550 HFAC, or downloaded here.
Important note: In addition to the specific rules above for the Visual Arts Contest, see the "General Regulations" giving information on all Mayhew Student Creative Contests. Both the general regulations and the specific rules for each contest should be followed by every student who enters one or more of the contests.
All submissions require a cover sheet. Cover sheets can be picked up in the Art Gallery F-303 HFAC, D-581 HFAC, or C-550 HFAC, or downloaded here for playwriting and visual arts, here for music composition, or here for screenwriting.
Contest Contact Information
Gallery Director, Visual Arts Contest Chairman
B-315 HFAC, Telephone 422-2882