The following general regulations apply to all eight contests:
– Contests are open to BYU undergraduates enrolled full time (a minimum of 12 hours) and to BYU graduate students enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours. Students must be enrolled either fall or winter semester of the 2021-2022 academic year.
– The total prize money for all contests is $13,200.
– Every entry must be the original work of the student submitting it and must not have been previously published, produced, sold, or publicly performed. The only exception is for the Music Composition contest – the students entering this contest may submit work performed at BYU. The composition may not have been performed anywhere else under any circumstances.
– A student may submit only one entry in each contest for any one year. However, a student may enter more than one of the contests (all eight if he or she desires). A student who won the first place award in a contest in a previous year is not eligible to enter that contest again but may enter any of the other seven contests. Students retain the copyright for all entries.
– Students may not submit entries that are concurrently submitted to other BYU contests. They may also not submit entries that have previously won first place in other BYU contests or in contests held elsewhere.
– Winners for each contest will be notified by letter and in addition the winners in Music Composition, Playwriting, Screenwriting, and Visual Arts will be posted online at the Mayhew Winners page by the end of March. Those who did not win will be notified by checking the online posting of winners. No other notification will be sent.
—Entries for creative writing (essay, general short story, specialty short story, and poetry) must be submitted to the Mayhew Committee through the Mayhew Website beginning January 3rd, 2022 and ending January 28t, 2022 at 5 PM. Hard copies to the College of Humanities Office will not be accepted. Starting January 3rd, 2022, the option to ‘Log In’ and submit your work will become available at the bottom of each creative writing page.
—Visual Arts entries may be received between January 3rd and January 28th, 2022 (dates subject to change) and must be submitted to the appropriate location as indicated in the specific rules for each contest.
—Screenwriting entries may be received between January 3rd and January 28th, 2022 by 5:00 PM (dates subject to change). Please see the page for specific rules and instructions on how to submit your entry online.
—Music Composition entries are due between January 3rd and January 28th, 2022 by 5:00 PM (dates subject to change) and must be submitted to the appropriate location as indicated in the specific rules for each contest.
—Playwriting entries are due between January 3rd and January 28th, 2022 by 5:00 PM (date subject to change) and must be submitted through the Mayhew Website. Starting January 3rd, 2022, the option to ‘Log In’ and submit your work will become available at the bottom of the playwriting page.
Submissions for the creative writing contests are through online application only. Online applications will be open on January 3rd, 2022, and will close January 28th, 2022, at 5:00 PM. Absolutely no late applications will be accepted!
Submissions for visual arts, playwriting, short screenwriting, and music composition are through paper application and require a cover sheet. Please see the specific rules of each contest for a link to the cover sheets for each of these contests, and for the submission location. It must to be printed out and attached to your submission.