The following general regulations apply to all eight contests:
– Contests are open to BYU undergraduates enrolled full time (a minimum of 12 hours) and to BYU graduate students enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours. Students must be enrolled either fall or winter semester of the 2022-2023 academic year.
– The total prize money for all contests is $14,000.
– Every entry must be the original work of the student submitting it and must not have been previously published, produced, or sold. In the case of the Music Composition contest, works submitted may not have been recorded or published professionally, or released on a commercial recording.
– A student may submit only one entry in each contest for any one year (except students may submit up to three entries for the Screenwriting). However, a student may enter more than one of the contests (all eight if he or she desires). A student who won the first place award in a contest in a previous year is not eligible to enter that contest again, but may enter any of the other seven contests. Students retain the copyright for all entries.
– Students may not submit entries that are concurrently submitted to other BYU contests. They may also not submit entries that have previously won first place in other BYU contests or in contests held elsewhere.
– Winners for each contest will be notified by email and in addition the winners will be posted online at the Mayhew Winners page by the end of March. Those who did not win will be notified by checking the online posting of winners. No other notification will be sent.
—Entries for the creative writing contests (essay, general short story, specialty short story, and poetry) must be submitted through this Mayhew Website. These entries can be summitted beginning January 9th, 2023 and ending February 3rd, 2023 at 5 PM. Hard copies submitted to the College of Humanities Office will not be accepted. Starting January 9th, 2023, the option to ‘Log In’ and submit your work will become available at the bottom of each applicable contest page.
—Visual Arts entries are due between January 9th and January 30th, 2023 (dates subject to change) and must be submitted to the appropriate location as indicated in the specific rules for each contest.
—Screenwriting entries are due between January 9th and February 3rd, 2023 by 5:00 PM (dates subject to change). Please see the page for specific rules and instructions on how to submit your entry online.
—Music Composition entries are due between January 9th and February 3rd, 2023 by 5:00 PM (dates subject to change) and must be submitted to the appropriate location as indicated in the specific rules for each contest.
—Playwriting entries are due between February 6th and February 24th, 2023 by 5:00 PM (date subject to change) and must be submitted through the Mayhew Website. Starting February 6th, 2022, the option to ‘Log In’ and submit your work will become available at the bottom of the playwriting page.
Submissions for the creative writing and playwriting contests are through online application only. Online applications will be open on January 9th, 2023, and will close February 3rd, 2023, at 5:00 PM for the creative writing contests. The online application for playwriting will open on February 6th, 2023 and will close February 24th, 2023 at 5:00pm. Absolutely no late applications will be accepted!
Submissions for visual arts, screenwriting, and music composition are through other means and require a cover sheet. Please see the specific rules of each contest for a link to the cover sheets, and for the submission details. Cover sheets must be attached to your submission.