Contest applicants must be enrolled as full-time students at Brigham Young University in either semester of the 2020-2021 school year.
1. This contest provides cash awards for writing compositions and visual arts winners. Judges may divide the cash among fewer or more than four winners, even giving the entire amount to the first-place entry or, if the judges feel that the submissions are not good enough, they may withhold some or all of the awards. Prize money for this competition is $1,550.
2. Entries may be done in any style or medium within the range of the traditional visual arts (painting, sculpture, printmaking, ceramics, photography, drawing, illustration, graphics). All 2-D works must be cradled or framed with hanging wire securely attached, ready to hang. NO clip frames – NO uniframes. All pieces must be DRY – NO exceptions. 3-D work must be self-supporting or mounted on their own bases, not glued to our pedestals. If the work needs special consideration for hanging, specify on the entry card how the piece is to be hung. If no specifications are made, the gallery staff will use their best judgment when hanging the work. For digital entries, it is the responsibility of the student to pay for the printing of their work if considered for display. Presentation should still be considered.
3. The works must be done independent of classroom assignments. Works submitted for class credit are ineligible.
4. Each student submitting an entry will fill out an entry form (downloaded below) giving name, address, and telephone number and certifying (a) that he or she is eligible by proper enrollment at BYU to enter the contest, and (b) that the entry submitted is the student’s own creative work. The student’s real name will appear ONLY on this cover sheet. Please print a title card legibly – along with the title of your work, this should MUST also have your student ID in place of your name; the title card will not be retyped if title card information is illegible. No work will be considered unless it is submitted in the highest standards of presentation.
5. All entries are to be submitted between February 4 and February 5,2021 from 10a.m.-5 p.m. to room B315 in the Harris Fine Arts Center.
6. A judging committee of three or more members will be appointed. These will be drawn from the BYU Art faculty and other experienced artists and critics. These members will decide which pieces will be accepted, as well as which artists shall receive awards. Award winners will be notified by mail, as well as by award placards placed next to their artwork. Works will be juried between February 8 and February 9.
7. A list of accepted works will be posted on Gallery 303 doors on February 10that noon. Please do not call the gallery offices for contest results. Declined works can be picked up February 10th thru February 12th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in B-315 HFAC. Any artwork not picked up will be considered abandoned and will be dealt with as gallery staff deems appropriate.
8. The accepted works will be displayed in the BF Larsen gallery from February 12th through February 25th 12th, 2020. Displayed work must be picked up on February 26th, 2021.
9. All submissions require a cover sheet which can be downloaded and printed from the link below.
Important note: In addition to the specific rules above for the Visual Arts Contest, see the “General Regulations” giving information on all Mayhew Student Creative Contests. Both the general regulations and the specific rules for each contest should be followed by every student who enters one or more of the contests.
All submissions require a cover sheet. The cover sheet may be downloaded and printed from the link below.
Contest Contact Information
Gallery Director, Visual Arts Contest Chairman
B-315 HFAC, Telephone: 801-422-2882