Contest applicants must be enrolled as full-time students at Brigham Young University in either semester of the 2020-2021 school year.
1. This contest provides a $1,550 award and possible staged readings for the winning plays as part of the TMA’s WDA program. Play categories are:
a) ten minute plays (up to 12 pages in length)
b) one act plays (between 30 and 45 pages in length)
c) full length plays (75 pages and above)
2. The amounts of the cash prizes will vary each year and are determined at the discretion of the contest judges. For example, judges may award prizes to the writer of the best play in each category, or they may, when the quality of the entries warrants, divide the prize between two or more student playwrights in each category, evenly or otherwise as their judgment dictates. If no play of sufficient merit is submitted in any or all of the given categories, the award(s) will be withheld.
3. Only stage plays are eligible. Collaborations are permissible, but collaborators must be individually eligible. Any original play will be eligible regardless of the style or content as long as it conforms to the standards of good taste. Musical books or libretti, together with lyrics, are eligible, but they will be judged as dramatic rather than musical compositions. All scripts will receive equal consideration. Translations or adaptations of other plays are ineligible.
4. Plays should be typed (double-spaced) on regular sized white type paper and have adequate margins.
5. Submissions will only be accepted between between January 4th and February 5th, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.. Those received in the TMA office after 5:00 p.m., on February 5th, 2021 will not be eligible.
6. Entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
7. The winner(s) will be announced at an awards ceremony later in the semester.
8. The Mayhew Awards Committee will appoint a judging committee of three or more members. These will be drawn from the BYU Theatre and Media Arts faculty and other qualified artists and critics.
9. Each student submitting an entry will fill out a cover sheet (which can be downloaded below) giving name, address, and telephone number and certifying (a) that he or she is eligible by proper enrollment at BYU to enter the contest, and (b) that the entry submitted is the student’s own creative work.
Important note: In addition to the specific rules above for the Playwriting Contest, see the “General Regulations” giving information on all Mayhew Student Creative Contests. Both the general regulations and the specific rules for each contest should be followed by every student who enters one or more of the contests.
All submissions require the cover sheet which can printed off from the link below.
Contest Contact Information
Playwriting Contest Chairman