Mayhew Contest General Rules
Several years before his death in 1973, Wayne E. Mayhew of Berkeley, California, established a trust fund to provide annual awards in creative writing and fine arts at Brigham Young University in honor of his wife, Vera Hinckley Mayhew, a former BYU student. The first contest, in short story writing, began in 1963–1964 and has continued annually since then. A second contest, in poetry writing, began in 1974–1975. Then in 1978–1979 four additional contests were started. Since that time, two additional contests were added, making eight annual contests.
Specific rules have been set for each contest, and can be viewed using the sidebar links. The following general regulations apply to all eight contests:
- Contests are open to BYU undergraduates enrolled full time (a minimum of 12 hours) and to BYU graduate students enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours. Students must be enrolled either fall or winter semester of the 2014-2015 academic year.
- The total prize money for all contests is $12,400.
- Every entry must be the original work of the student submitting it and must not have been previously published, produced, sold, or publicly performed. The only exception is for the Music Composition contest. The students entering this contest may submit work performed at BYU. The composition may not have been performed anywhere else under any circumstances.
- Entries for creative writing (essay, short story, and poetry) should be submitted to the Mayhew Committee between February 2 and February 6, 2015, submitted through the Mayhew website. Visual Arts entries may be received between February 19 and 20, 2015 by 4:30 p.m., and screenwriting entries may be received between February 4 and February 6, 2015 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (dates subject to change) and must be submitted to the appropriate location as indicated in the specific rules for each contest. Music Composition entries are due February 6, 2015 and should be submitted as indicated in the contest specific rules. Playwriting entries are due between February 9 and February 13, 2015 by 5:00 p.m. (date subject to change) and should be submitted as indicated in the contest specific rules.
- A student may submit only one entry in each contest for any one year. However, a student may enter more than one of the contests (all eight if he or she desires). A student who won the first place award in a contest in a previous year is not eligible to enter that contest again but may enter any of the other seven contests. Students retain the copyright for all entries.
- Students may not submit entries that are concurrently submitted to other BYU contests. They may also not submit entries that have previously won first place in other BYU contests or in contests held elsewhere.
- Winners for each contest will be notified by letter and in addition the winners in Music Composition, Playwriting, Screenwriting, and Visual Arts will be posted online at the Mayhew Winners page by Monday, March 25, 2015. Those who did not win will be notified by checking the online posting of winners. No other notification will be sent.
Submissions for the creative writing contests are through online application only. Online applications will be open on February 2nd, 2015, and will close February 6th, 2015, at 5:00pm. Click here to submit your entry.
Submissions for visual arts, playwriting, short screenwriting, and music composition are through paper application and require a cover sheet. The cover sheet can be downloaded here. Coversheets can also be picked up in the Art Gallery 303 HFAC, C-581 HFAC, or C-550 HFAC.